Time: 10:00 a.m. PT / 12:00 p.m. CT / 1:00 pm ET
Presenters: Joel O'Malley, Dorsey & Whitney LLP and Jillian Kornblatt, Dorsey & Whitney LLP
1.5 hours CE credit
We will discuss the legal and practical implications of using social media and third-party services to conduct pre-employment background checks or internal investigations. Attendees will learn:
- How to comply with various “ban the box” statutes;
- When to friend and when not to friend;
- The limits of social media in the recruitment context; and
- Legal constraints on an employer’s oversight of employee’s personal use of social media
Joel O'Malley, Partner, Dorsey & Whitney LLP
He leads investigations of unpaid wage, discrimination, retaliation, harassment, and whistleblower claims. And, when a lawsuit cannot be avoided, he defends his clients in individual and class litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country, including, in particular, California and New York.
Joel frequently represents both employers and employees in claims involving enforcement of post-employment restrictive covenants (confidentiality, non-competition, non-disclosure, and non-solicitation).
Joel also has extensive appellate experience, having argued before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, Minnesota Court of Appeals, and the Minnesota Supreme Court.
Jillian Kornblatt, Associate, Dorsey & Whitney LLP
Jillian Kornblatt is an associate in Dorsey’s Labor & Employment group, where she focuses her practice on employment litigation and advice and labor law issues. Ms. Kornblatt assists employers in investigating and responding to internal complaints, agency charges, and lawsuits based on allegations of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, breach of contract, conversion, wage and leave statute violations, and wrongful termination.
Before practicing law, Ms. Kornblatt spent six years in human resources management. In these roles, she advised managers on employee relations, recruiting, compensation, benefits, performance appraisals, and organizational development issues. These experiences inform Ms. Kornblatt’s practice, where she brings a practical approach focused on client goals.
- Internet Connection (Minimum: 56k modem, Recommended: wired ethernet connection or better)
- Adobe Flash Player(many people will already have this installed. If you don't please download it at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP)