According to AHA’s annual survey data, hospital employment of physicians has increased by nearly one-third over the last 12 years and more than 45 percent of privileged physicians are employed or under contract with a hospital – either directly or through a group affiliation. Many drivers are fueling these increases, including the passage of the Affordable Care Act, which is aligning physicians and hospitals through coordinated payments and accountable care. Likewise, the economic climate and new generation of physicians looking for a work/life balance and financial security are leading physicians to seek employment arrangements.
To move the health care delivery system forward, clinicians will need to work with inter-professional teams, coordinate care across various settings, utilize evidence-based medicine to improve quality and safety and promote greater efficiency in care delivery.
In 2014, the American Hospital Association’s Physician Leadership Forum (PLF) and AHACareerCenter.org, building on work done by the PLF on lifelong learning and physician competency development, conducted a survey asking physician recruitment professionals about the competencies physicians will need to thrive in the health care system of the future. Several themes emerged related to skills recruiters look for when hiring physicians and physician leaders:
- Business knowledge – understanding implications of insurance, regulatory requirements and productivity metrics.
- Leadership – possessing strong interpersonal communication skills, teamwork and a strategic vision for the future.
- Entrepreneurship – understanding change, management and innovation.
- Recognition of total patient experience – proactive with population health initiatives and case management.
- Non-traditional experiences – bringing outside experiences to the equation, such as resident and student teaching and patient care outside of the hospital.
- Information technology – embracing information technology/electronic medical records and using analytics to understand and manage population health.
In the search for experienced physician talent, AHACareerCenter.org can provide a practical, strategic solution for meeting your physician recruitment goals. For more information, contact Chris Stone at 312.895.2517 or visit AHACareerCenter.org.