It’s official! The 2014 ASPR Annual Conference in Minneapolis was another huge success and our second largest conference ever! There were approximately 410 attendees and more than 100 exhibiting organizations at this year’s conference. The education committee members outdid themselves by planning a truly amazing line up of presentations!
We would like to thank the education committee co-chairs, Robin Schiffer, FASPR, OhioHealth MedCentral Hospitals (Mansfield, Ohio) and Jennifer Barber, FASPR, OSF Healthcare (Peoria, Illinois) for their hard work and leadership. A huge thank you also goes out to the entire education committee and staff of ASPR. The teamwork displayed by this amazing group of people is greatly appreciated by all. We would also like to express our most sincere gratitude to our conference sponsors and exhibitors. Without their support we could not put on such a successful event. Thank you, all!
During the annual business meeting, the Volunteer of the Year Award was presented to Miranda Grace, FASPR, Geisinger Health System (Lewistown, Pennsylvania). Outstanding Achievement Awards were presented to Shelley Tudor, FASPR, Humana, Inc. (Louisville, Kentucky) for her contributions to the benchmarking project and to Marci Jackson, FASPR, Marshfield Clinic (Marshfield, Wisconsin) for her contributions to the fellowship program. All three of these members have volunteered and dedicated a great deal of time to ASPR over the years. Congratulations to all on this well-deserved honor!
We would like to express our appreciation to the outgoing committee co-chairs and welcome our new committee co-chairs who assumed their roles at the annual business meeting:
- Stacey Armistead, FASPR, Duke Medical Center (Durham, North Carolina) will co-chair the chapter and regional relations committee. She replaces Chris Kashnig, FASPR, Dean Clinic and (Madison, Wisconsin).
- Jennifer Feddersen, DASPR, Henry Ford Health System (Detroit, Michigan) will co-chair the resource library committee. She takes over for Diane Collins, FASPR, HealthPartners Medical Group (Minneapolis, Minnesota).
- Michael Griffin, FASPR, Sound Physicians (Tacoma, Washington) will be taking over the co-chair position for the fellowship committee from Marci Jackson, FASPR, Marshfield Clinic, Wisconsin). This is a repeat performance for Mike, and we are happy to have him back!
- Rachel Reliford, FASPR, OSF Healthcare (Peoria, Illinois) assumed the role of membership committee co-chair just prior to the annual conference. She replaced Tim Dybevik, Dean Health (Madison, Wisconsin) who stepped down as a result of a job change.
We’re excited to welcome these new volunteer leaders and would like to express our appreciation for the dedication and hard work displayed from our outgoing leaders.
A conference recap is included in this issue of JASPR, as well as in the annual conference section of our website.
Don’t forget to mark your calendars for the 2015 ASPR Annual Conference, which will be held May 16-20, at the Hyatt Regency Orlando in Orlando, Florida. Check out a preview of what is in store for you!
New organizational vision and mission statements
During the annual business meeting, we were very excited to share ASPR’s new vision and mission statements:
Our new vision statement is “Healthcare is transformed in our communities.”
The new mission statement is “The Association of Staff Physician Recruiters empowers industry experts through education, research and engagement.”
ASPR is here to serve you and you in turn, serve your communities by recruiting excellent healthcare providers. Our role as in-house physician recruitment professionals is vital to our communities and we feel our vision statement encompasses the magnitude of the impact you have on healthcare in your community.
Industry surveys and data
Finally, we’d like to provide you with updates on the industry surveys and reports the benchmarking and survey project teams are working on. These industry reports empower you to be an industry expert, so please download them, read them, cite them and share them.
The 2014 ASPR In-House Physician Recruitment Benchmarking Report is now available. Participants have access for free and non-participants can purchase access to the report through the benchmarking section of the Industry Data tab on the ASPR website.
The following reports are available as free downloads in the Industry Data section of our website:
- The 2014 Physician Compensation, Benefits and Recruitment Incentives Report was released in early July. The objective of the survey was to collect information regarding physician benefits, incentives, contract terms, compensation methodology and employer scheduling practices to determine if differences among these items exist between physician specialties and practice ownership.
- The 2014 Physician Recruitment Activity Report was released in October. This survey collected information about in-house physician recruiter’s schedules, work activities and processes, departmental structure, schedule and stress levels.
Our next report, the 2014 Physician Recruitment Incentives and Contracts Report is expected to be released before the end of the year. This survey collected information directly from in-house physician recruitment professionals regarding physician benefits, recruitment incentives, contract terms, compensation methodology and employer scheduling practices. The data from this survey will be compared to the report we released in July, which surveyed physicians on the same topics.
Additional surveys will be conducted in the coming months. Your participation is critical in the success of these surveys and in obtaining accurate and abundant data. We greatly appreciate all who have participated in these surveys to date and encourage you to participate in future surveys. The more data we collect in these surveys, the more valuable and meaningful that data becomes to our industry. The more industry data you have, the greater the expert and resource you are to your administration!
As always, we look forward to hearing from you.
All the best,
ASPR 2014 Board of Directors